Boeing For More..

Displaying boeing.jpg

( From left to right: John Veta, Charles Woon,Sohail Tehrani, and Dustin Gillis)

Laura Romine- Asst. Blog Manager:

This September, seven teams of students from Cal State Fullerton responded to Boeing’s case study. Their responses addressed the question of how Boeing could continue their scheduled construction of 300 Chinook helicopters for the U.S. military by 2020, while also building a fleet of 24 Chinooks for the United Kingdom military by 2021. A team titled “Boeing for More”, made up of Dustin Gillis, John Veta, Charles Woon, and Sohail Tehrani, won the Mihaylo case study competition and will continue on to face CSU Long Beach in a competition at the Boeing offices in El Segundo.

I was able to ask the “Boeing for More” team some questions regarding their participation in the competition, what they believe they learned from it, and their thoughts on competing against CSULB. Read on below:

Q: Why did you decide to participate in the Case Study Competition?

A (John Veta):I knew I wanted to participate in the Boeing Case Study Competition months before even applying to transfer to CSUF. I heard so much about the honors program and how they have done so well in the competition in the past. I worked extremely hard to be accepted into the Business Honors Program after being accepted to CSUF. I then focused my goal on winning the case competition, and I knew I could if I brought the right team together. As someone who is also working towards a pilots license, I have always had a passion for aerospace, and flying. Having a career at Boeing is something that is very special to me, and it is a goal I am striving to achieve. I knew that doing well in the competition demonstrates a work ethic and skill set that are important when working at a company like Boeing.

A (Sohail Tehrani): My interest for Case Analysis was sparked by the BUAD 301 class I took over this past summer; I did well in the class and really enjoyed the writing aspect of the class. Naturally, I wanted to challenge myself when it came to business case analysis and saw this competition as an excellent opportunity to do just that. The fact that it was for such as a prestigious company such as Boeing was also a huge i

Q: What do you feel you have learned from the project? How has it bettered you?

A (JV): This project has taught me the importance of having a cohesive team and strong work ethic. We got to experience a real world situation, and while doing so, we learned a lot about Boeing’s productions plans, operations, and LEAN practices. I enjoyed the opportunity to present in front of Boeing officials, and I feel better prepared to face business situations within the aerospace industry.

A (ST): There were a lot of positives that came from working on this case; the main one was the confidence I gained as far as my ability to succeed at the University level. Being a transfer student and it being my first semester at CSUF, I have been met with plenty of challenges in my brief career here, so succeeding in such a difficult competition really gave me a boost and assured me that I was on the right track. Although I felt my critical thinking, communication, and public speaking skills were well developed, participating in this case definitely helped me to take those skills to the next level. Just the fact that we presented in front of executives from a company such as Boeing gave us an immense amount of invaluable experience.

Q: How did this experience and group compare with other projects you’ve worked on and groups you’ve worked with?

A (JV): This group project was very different because the complexity of the Boeing case forced us to really dig deep into its material. It required a vast amount of outside research in order to build realistic assumptions and recommendations. Sharing the common goal of wanting to win kept us focused and determined to get the work done. The moment we were briefed at the kickoff for this case, we realized that in about three weeks time we would be presenting in front of some very important officials at Boeing and we better have put the work in. It was a type of pressure that you don’t get in other group settings.

A (ST): Since this was a project that was outside of the classroom, we really had to push ourselves to stay motivated throughout the entire process; our team had a lot of passion going into this competition and that really helped to carry us through it. We’ve all worked on class projects with groups where 1 or 2 people end up doing all of the work; that was far from the case with this project. I had an amazing team of hard working gentlemen; we all contributed equally in producing the final project and that aspect really came through in our presentation. Our team was also made up entirely of transfer students from Junior Colleges who are in the Business Honors Program, so those commonalities really made the bond between us quite strong.

Q: Are you looking forward to competing against CSULB?

A (JV): I am extremely excited for the final round against CSULB. It is truly an honor to have made it this far. We are still working very hard to perfect our presentation, and I am confident that the work we have put in will show during the final competition. LETS GO TITANS!

A (ST): Of course I am excited to compete against CSULB! They are our rivals, so I feel a lot of pride in going up against CSULB and representing all Titans. We definitely respect the competition, but we are also confident that we are going to bring home this win for CSUF, Mihaylo, and the Business Honors Program.

Wish these gentlemen luck in their upcoming head-to-head! We know they will make us proud.

LR

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by BHP. Bookmark the permalink.

About BHP

The Business Honors Program at Mihaylo College of Business and Economics provides a socially and professionally stimulating academic environment to a select group of Business Administration students.

Join us and you will experience four years of academically enriching courses, extra-curricular activities, real-world experience, and more. After graduation, you can go directly into a profession or continue your education in graduate school. Whatever your choice, you will be ready to work and ready to lead!