Meet David Schenker, Teamwork project group

I had the pleasure of interviewing David Schenker, class of 2015, who sits in a chair position of the Teamwork group. David came up with the exciting idea of organizing the biggest event we have ever seen in the Business Honors Program – an Anaheim Ducks hockey game, complete with broomball and fun on the ice afterwards. This is not a small undertaking by any means (150 seats are being held for our group), and did I mention it is OPENING NIGHT too?! What a gem. David has been involved with every step of this strategic plan, and I know I cannot wait to attend! The game will be on Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 7 PM. We still have a few tickets available, so please contact David so you do not miss out on this great opportunity!! (562) 225-2429.

**Check out my interview with David below to learn about his journey to the Business Honors Program, and the emotional intelligence that has helped him succeed in his educational journey.

David Schenker

Concentration: Entertainment/Tourism

CH: “What business skills have served you best in your current position for the Teamwork” group?”

DS: “My initial connections were very critical in the planning stages of this project. Because I work for the Ducks, I had the idea to incorporate Prianca’s (Senior, teamwork leader) idea of ice-skating, with this larger scale event. I felt this would be a fun opportunity for the Business Honors students to bond and get to know each other outside of the school setting. Additionally, organization has played a key role in the success of this project. I have had to create spreadsheets to keep track of the expenses and money collected, as well as allocating jobs to other members of my team to ensure the success of this event.”

CH: “I know you, like myself, transferred this year from junior college. How has this leadership position benefited you in the transition and helped you adjust to a larger scale university?”

DS: “The great thing with these project teams is that they allow you to bond over an organizational goal. I missed out on the initial bonding opportunity in the summer because I was unable to attend the Fall Kick-Off in August. Since then I have gotten to know people in my teamwork group through the planning of this event. Interacting with them, putting together what we have learned in our classes, as well as incorporating something that I am passionate about (the Ducks), has really given me so much pleasure, and has allowed me to get to know my fellow Business Honors students on a more personal level which has been a great transition to a larger school.”

CH: “What advice can you give to future transfer students and/or students interested in joining the Business Honors program?”

DS:  “Specifically for me, I had a long road to the Business Honors program. I attended Junior College in Long Beach, and initially wished to transfer to CSULB. I came to realize the Business focuses offered were more vast here at CSUF, and had to change my road plan based on the classes CSUF required. I had my eye on the Business Honors program, but because I was short on classes to be accepted, I needed to complete them immediately and it was virtually impossible to get them all finished over one summer in order to be a part of the program. I ended up hunkering down and staying at Junior College in Long Beach to complete the classes (something I was not too happy about), and eventually made my transition into the program. My major piece of advice to give anyone about this program is that it is not a race. At the end of the day it is about the way in which you set yourself apart, and the Business Honors program allows you to do just this.”

CH: “As juniors we are currently enrolled in Management 339. Have you come across any situations in your group project where you had the ability to utilize some of the skills we learned in class?”

DS:  “One of the first topics we discussed in class had to do with emotional intelligence which really grabbed my attention. This was so powerful to me because I feel there is a fine line between someone in charge who has this “power” attitude compared to someone who has a calm demeanor and is respectable. In our group and just in general, I try to work hard to not be that guy who is a loudmouth because it is easy to cross that line and get there when you are given power. Additionally, you have to know who you are working with because everyone is so different. I want to be like-able because that is important to me – like-able people are hired. It is easy to have a good relationship with people you come into contact here in this program because everyone is just so great.”

CH: “Where do you see yourself after graduation as far as career aspirations/goals?”

DS:  “I would like to take advantage of the doors that have opened for me (specifically with the Ducks). I am very interested in hockey operations, where I am hoping to land a potential internship in the near future. Here I would have the chance to work in the front office and interact with executives responsible for the day-to-day operational tasks of the organization. I definitely would like to go to graduate school, however I know there are opportunities when we graduate from this prestigious program to get a job and join a company where they may even pay for my higher education. Imagine that! “

CH: “Thank you so much for setting aside the time to talk to me today.”

DS: “Thank you Cat. I hope everyone comes out and supports the team and our program. It is going to be an exciting event in an electric atmosphere. Get your tickets today!“